Welcome to our recipe for delicious baked Chinese cake! This delightful cake is a traditional dessert in Chinese culture, often enjoyed during special occasions such as the Lunar New Year. With its soft and moist texture, this cake is perfect to enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee, or even as a sweet treat after a savory meal. And the best part? It’s actually quite simple to make and requires only a handful of ingredients. So put on your apron and let’s get started! We’ve made this baked chinese cake easy to follow 👨🍳.
- Large eggs 3
- Castor (superfine) sugar 140 g (5 oz)
- Honey 1 Tbsp
- Ovalette 1 tsp
- Water 3 Tbsp
- Vanilla essence (extract) 1 tsp
- Cooking oil 70 ml (21/2 fl oz) Plain (all-purpose) flour 160 g (51/2 oz), sifted
- Corn flour (cornstarch) 1 Tbsp, sifted
- Baking powder 1 tsp, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease 8 baking cups individually with cooking oil, making sure to coat the bottom and sides entirely. Then, lightly flour the cups. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add three large eggs, 140g of superﬁne castor sugar, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 teaspoon of ovalette. Using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer, beat the mixture until it is light in color, several times larger in volume, and forms a ribbon that slowly dissolves on the surface. This process should take around 5-7 minutes on medium speed.
- Add 3 tablespoons of water, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 70ml of cooking oil into the egg mixture. Mix everything thoroughly using a spatula or spoon until well combined.
- Using a sifter, sift 160g of plain flour, 1 tablespoon of cornflour, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder on top of the egg mixture. Gently fold the mixture by turning the batter over repeatedly using a spatula until no flour pockets or air bubbles remain. Be gentle to avoid deflating the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking cups, filling each cup no more than 3/4 full. Tap the bottom of the cups against a flat surface several times to remove any large air pockets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the surface of the cakes is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are baked, remove them from the oven and let them rest in the cup for 5 minutes to cool down slightly.
- Finally, using a flat tool such as a butter knife, gently release each bread from the cup by sliding the knife along the sides. Once released, place each cake onto a wire rack to finish cooling until ready to serve.
How long does baked chinese cake last in the fridge?
Baked Chinese cake, also known as Chinese sponge cake, can typically be stored in the fridge for up to five days after cooking. To store the cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out or absorbing any other odors from the fridge. Another option for storing Chinese cake is to place it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor of the cake may change slightly after being refrigerated for an extended period, so it’s best to enjoy it fresh if possible.
Low calorie baked chinese cake substitutions
To make this recipe lower in calories, we can make some substitutions. Instead of using castor sugar, we can use a natural sweetener like stevia, which has zero calories. Also, we can substitute the cooking oil with unsweetened applesauce or greek yogurt, which will reduce the amount of fat in the recipe. Instead of using plain flour, we can use whole wheat flour, which is higher in fiber and lower in calories. These substitutions will make the recipe healthier without compromising the taste too much. However, it is worth noting that this recipe is already relatively low in calories compared to other baked goods, and it is important to enjoy treats in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
What to serve with baked chinese cake?
Baked Chinese cake is a sweet and dense pastry that can be served as a dessert or as a snack alongside tea. To complement its rich and savory flavors, it can be served with fresh fruits such as strawberries, kiwis, or mangoes. Alternatively, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream can add a creamy texture to balance out the cake’s texture. Garnishing with chopped nuts or drizzling with honey can also enhance its sweetness and texture. Overall, the ideal pairing for baked Chinese cake is a light and refreshing accompaniment that complements its unique flavor profile.
Whats the best sauce for baked chinese cake?
There are many sauces that can be used to enhance the flavor of baked Chinese cakes, but one of the most popular and delicious options is a sweet and savory oyster sauce glaze. To make the glaze, combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Then, brush the glaze over the top of the baked cake and broil until caramelized and golden brown. The rich umami flavor of the oyster sauce pairs perfectly with the tender and slightly sweet cake, making for a truly mouth-watering dish.
Baked chinese cake health benefits
Baked Chinese cake mainly consists of flour, sugar, and eggs. As a result, it is a rich source of carbohydrates, which provide the body with energy and help maintain blood sugar levels. It also contains eggs, which are a good source of protein that helps repair and build various tissues in the body. Additionally, baked Chinese cake contains modest amounts of calcium, iron, and phosphorus. Calcium is essential for building strong bones and teeth, while iron is important for producing oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Phosphorus plays a critical role in promoting muscle contractions and maintaining healthy bones and teeth. However, this cake is still high in calories and sugar, so it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced and healthy diet.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette
Goat Cheese and Tomato Omelette
Tomato and Mozzarella Omelette