Hello and welcome to Omelette Recipes! Today, I’m excited to share with you my favorite recipe for mouth-watering coconut macaroons. These sweet treats are made with just a handful of simple ingredients and are perfect for satisfying a sweet tooth. Whether you’re hosting a party or simply craving something indulgent, these coconut macaroons will certainly hit the spot. So, grab your apron and let’s get started! We’ve made this coconut macaroons easy to follow 👨🍳.
- Desiccated coconut 225 g (71/2 oz) Castor (superﬁne) sugar 275 g (9 oz)
- Egg whites 5
- Butter for greasing
- Glacé (candied) cherries 9, halved
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a small saucepan, mix the 225g of desiccated coconut, 275g of caster sugar, and 5 egg whites together.
- Place the saucepan over low heat until the mixture is warm. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon while doing so.
- Remove the pan from heat and leave the mixture to cool in the pan.
- Grease a baking tray and cover it with greaseproof paper.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon 18 mounds of mixture onto the greaseproof paper, leaving enough space in between for the macaroons to expand during baking. If you want, you can alternatively spoon the mixture into baking cups.
- Top each macaroon with half a glacé cherry, then bake for 20 minutes or until they are light golden brown. Remove from oven and leave the baking tray to cool on a wire rack.
- If using greaseproof paper, peel it off the baking tray and cut between the cooled macaroons. Leave a layer of paper on the base of each macaroon. Finally, store in an airtight container.
How long does coconut macaroons last in the fridge?
Coconut macaroons can be stored in the fridge for about 1 week after cooking. However, it is important to store them in an airtight container to prevent them from drying out or absorbing any unwanted odors in the fridge. For longer shelf life, the macaroons can also be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Simply store them in a freezer-safe container or resealable bag and thaw them in the fridge or at room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
Low calorie coconut macaroons substitutions
To make this recipe lower in calories, the first substitution would be to use a sugar substitute like Splenda or Stevia in place of the castor sugar. This would greatly reduce the calorie count of the recipe without compromising the sweetness. Another substitution would be to use egg whites from the carton rather than whole eggs, cutting down on the fat content. Additionally, using cooking spray instead of butter to grease the baking tray would further reduce the calorie count. Lastly, reducing the amount of desiccated coconut used by about half would also cut down on the calories of the recipe without compromising on the taste. With these substitutions, the coconut macaroons would be a healthier treat that can still be enjoyed in moderation.
What to serve with coconut macaroons?
Coconut macaroons are a delicious sweet treat that can be enjoyed on their own or paired with other foods. One great option to serve with coconut macaroons is a cup of hot coffee or tea, as the bitterness of the drink provides a nice balance to the sweet flavor of the macaroons. Another option is to serve the macaroons with fresh fruit, such as berries or sliced mango, which complement the tropical flavor of the coconut. Additionally, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream can provide a creamy complement to the crispy texture of the macaroons.
Whats the best sauce for coconut macaroons?
There are many sauces that can be paired with coconut macaroons, but the best sauce could be a sweet and tangy raspberry coulis. Made by pureeing fresh or frozen raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice, the sauce provides a perfect fruity complement to the nutty, sweet flavor of the coconut macaroons. It’s easy to make and requires minimal effort, and the vibrant pink color adds a beautiful visual element to the dessert. Other options for macaroon sauces include chocolate ganache, caramel sauce, or a simple vanilla glaze. Ultimately, the sauce choice depends on personal preference, but the raspberry coulis is a delicious, refreshing option.
Coconut macaroons health benefits
Coconut macaroons are a delicious and healthy treat with many health benefits. They are low in calories and high in fiber which helps to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer periods of time. Coconut is also known to improve heart health by reducing inflammation and improving cholesterol levels. Additionally, coconut contains lauric acid which has antibacterial and antiviral properties that can help boost the immune system. Consuming coconut macaroons is an excellent way to enjoy a sweet treat while also promoting good health.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette
Goat Cheese and Tomato Omelette
Tomato and Mozzarella Omelette