Good morning and welcome to Omelette Recipes! Today, we have an exciting recipe for you that will take your breakfast game to the next level: breakfast enchiladas. These delicious enchiladas are loaded with savory sausage, crispy bacon, fluffy scrambled eggs, and gooey cheese, all topped off with a zesty homemade enchilada sauce. They’re perfect for a weekend brunch or meal prep for busy mornings. So let’s get started and whip up a batch of these flavorful breakfast enchiladas! We’ve made this breakfast enchiladas easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 1 lb. mild ground pork sausage
- 3 tbsp sweet butter
- 4 sliced scallions
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 14 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas
- 4 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Crumble and fry the pork sausage in a skillet until it is cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked sausage onto a paper towel and drain it of any excess oil.
- In another skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add scallions to the pan and cook them until they are softened.
- Whisk together the eggs and add them to the pan, mixing constantly to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook the eggs until they are softly scrambled, taking care not to overcook or burn them.
- Transfer the cooked eggs and scallions to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped cilantro, cooked sausage, and one cup of cheese sauce to the bowl, stirring well to combine.
- Spoon the egg and sausage mixture evenly onto the center of each of the flour tortillas.
- Roll up the tortillas tightly around the filling, ensuring that they are sealed on all sides and that the filling is evenly distributed.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter, then transfer the rolled-up tortillas to the dish, arranging them so they are snugly packed together.
- Pour the remaining cheese sauce over the top of the tortillas, spreading it evenly so that all of the tortillas are covered.
- Sprinkle the shredded Monterey Jack cheese over the top of the enchiladas.
- Bake the enchiladas in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the tortillas are slightly crispy.
- Allow the enchiladas to cool slightly before serving.
How long does breakfast enchiladas last in the fridge?
Breakfast enchiladas can be stored in the fridge for up to four days after cooking. It is important to cool the enchiladas completely before placing them in the fridge to avoid the growth of bacteria. To keep them fresh for as long as possible, wrap the enchiladas tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. When you are ready to reheat them, place them in the oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until they are heated through. As with any food, if the enchiladas have a strange odor or appearance, they should be discarded.
Low calorie breakfast enchiladas substitutions
To make this breakfast enchiladas recipe lower in calories, here are some potential substitutions that can be made. Instead of using ground pork sausage, lean ground turkey or chicken can be used. Using a non-stick skillet with cooking spray instead of sweet butter can also cut down on the calories. To decrease the amount of cheese used, a reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or a lower calorie shredded Mexican cheese blend can be substituted. Fat-free or reduced-fat flour tortillas can also be used instead of the regular flour tortillas. Additionally, reducing the amount of cheese sauce used and using skim or low-fat milk can lower the overall calorie count.
What to serve with breakfast enchiladas?
There are a variety of side dishes that would pair well with breakfast enchiladas. You could serve refried beans, Mexican rice, sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, or a fruit salad. Another great option would be to offer a side of crispy hash browns or roasted potatoes for a savory breakfast experience. If you prefer a lighter option, a simple side of fresh berries or sliced melon would be a refreshing accompaniment. Ultimately, the choice of side dishes will depend on your personal preferences and the overall flavor profile of the breakfast enchiladas.
Whats the best sauce for breakfast enchiladas?
The best sauce for breakfast enchiladas is a homemade chili gravy. To make this sauce, you will need to brown flour with oil until it turns a deep brown color, then add chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and chicken broth to the mixture while continuously whisking. Let the mixture thicken and simmer until it reaches the desired consistency. This sauce will add a rich and flavorful kick to your breakfast enchiladas and complements the ingredients such as eggs, cheese, and sausage or bacon.
Breakfast enchiladas health benefits
Breakfast enchiladas can be a fulfilling and nutritious meal to start your day. The combination of ingredients such as eggs, beans, cheese, and vegetables provides a healthy dose of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Protein from eggs and beans helps to sustain energy levels and keep you feeling full throughout the morning, while fiber helps to improve digestion. Vegetables contribute to the nutrient content by providing a variety of vitamins and minerals. Additionally, using whole grain tortillas instead of traditional white flour tortillas can add more fiber and other important nutrients. With all of these health benefits combined, breakfast enchiladas can be a delicious and satisfying way to kick-start your day.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette
Goat Cheese and Tomato Omelette
Tomato and Mozzarella Omelette