Welcome to omelette recipes, where every meal is a treat! Today, we have a delicious and simple recipe for you to enjoy: eggs baked with onions. This recipe is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner and is a great way to start your day or end it on a high note. With fluffy eggs, caramelized onions and a hint of seasoning, this dish is both satisfying and easy to make. Let’s get started! We’ve made this eggs baked with onions easy to follow 👨🍳.
- Butter 30 g (1 oz) + 1 tsp
- Olive oil 2 Tbsp
- Onions 3, medium-sized, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- Hard-boiled eggs 6, shelled and sliced Salt 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper a dash Plain (all-purpose)
- ﬂour 1 Tbsp
- Single (light)
- cream 250 ml (8 ﬂ oz / 1 cup)
- Milk 4 Tbsp
- White wine 4 Tbsp Grated Cheddar
- cheese 3 Tbsp
- Lightly grease a shallow heatproof (flameproof) dish using 1 tsp butter.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over moderate heat.
- Add 3 peeled and thinly sliced onions to the pan and fry for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the pan from heat and, with a slotted spoon, transfer half the onions to the buttered dish.
- Cover the layer of onions with hard-boiled eggs (6), sliced.
- Add the remaining onions to the dish and sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt and a dash of cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to high.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 30g (1oz) of butter over moderate heat.
- Remove the pan from heat and, with a wooden spoon, stir in 1 Tbsp flour to make a smooth paste.
- Gradually add 250ml (8ﬂ oz/1 cup) of single (light) cream, 4 Tbsp milk and 4 Tbsp of white wine, stirring constantly.
- Return the pan to heat and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Add 2 Tbsp cheese and continue stirring for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the layered ingredients in the dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 3 Tbsp cheese on top of the dish.
- Place the dish under the grill (broiler) and cook for about 3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve the dish immediately.
How long does eggs baked with onions last in the fridge?
Eggs baked with onions can typically be stored in the fridge for up to four days after cooking. However, it is important to properly store the dish in an airtight container to prevent spoilage. When reheating the dish, it is important to ensure that it is heated thoroughly to avoid any potential foodborne illness. Additionally, it is important to note that the texture and quality of the dish may change over time, and it may lose some of its flavor and moisture. As such, it is best to consume eggs baked with onions within a few days of cooking for optimal taste and freshness.
Low calorie eggs baked with onions substitutions
There are several substitutions that could be made to make this recipe lower in calories. Instead of using butter, olive oil, and full-fat cream, you could use low-fat cooking spray, vegetable stock, and low-fat yogurt or milk as a replacement, respectively. You could also reduce the amount of cheese used and opt for a lower-calorie cheese, or use a vegan cheese alternative. Additionally, you could use egg whites instead of whole eggs, or reduce the number of eggs used altogether. Finally, you could increase the proportion of onions used in the recipe and decrease the amount of sauce used, as the sauce contributes a significant amount of the recipe’s calories. By making these substitutions, you could create a lighter, healthier version of this recipe that is still satisfying and flavorful.
What to serve with eggs baked with onions?
There are several options for serving eggs baked with onions. One option is to pair them with a simple side salad of mixed greens dressed with vinaigrette to add some fresh flavors to the dish. Another option is to serve some sliced avocado on top of the eggs for added creaminess and healthy fats. Lastly, a slice of whole grain bread or baguette could be served on the side to provide a satisfying crunch and soak up any remaining egg or onion sauce.
Whats the best sauce for eggs baked with onions?
The best sauce for eggs baked with onions would depend on personal preference, but a popular and delicious option would be a creamy hollandaise sauce. Hollandaise sauce is made from a blend of egg yolks, butter, lemon juice, and a bit of seasoning, and it has a rich, velvety texture that complements the savory eggs and caramelized onions perfectly. Its tangy and buttery notes bring a burst of flavor to the dish and take it to a whole new level of deliciousness. Additionally, hollandaise sauce is versatile and easy to make, making it a popular choice among chefs and home cooks alike.
Eggs baked with onions health benefits
Eggs baked with onions are a nutritious and healthy meal. Eggs are high in protein, essential amino acids, and vitamins like A, B12, and D. Onions contain flavonoids and antioxidants that help reduce inflammation, boost heart health, and improve immune function. The combination of eggs and onions provides a good balance of protein, healthy fats, and fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels, keep you full for longer, and promote healthy digestion. Baked eggs with onions are a great breakfast or brunch option that not only tastes delicious but also provides numerous health benefits.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette
Goat Cheese and Tomato Omelette
Tomato and Mozzarella Omelette