Hello and welcome to our omelette recipes website! Today, we are excited to share with you a delicious and classic French dish – Croque Madame. This dish combines the heartiness of a ham and cheese sandwich with the indulgence of an omelette and a fried egg, making it a perfect choice for brunch or a satisfying lunch. As a chef and assistant, I’m thrilled to guide you through the simple steps in making this scrumptious dish. So, let’s get started! We’ve made this croque madame easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 4 slices of cooked ham
- 4 slices of Gruyere cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Take sourdough bread slices and butter them with half cup butter. Make sure the butter is at room temperature.
- Place slices of cooked ham and Gruyere cheese on top of four slices of bread and then make sandwiches with the remaining slices.
- Take a skillet and fry the sandwiches until the cheese has melted, the bread is golden brown and the ham is hot.
- Prepare the eggs. Put enough water in a deep pan to cover the eggs. Add 1 tsp of olive oil and boil the water. Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Crack eggs into the pan and then use a spoon to roll the whites around the yolks. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft.
- Turn off the heat and use a slotted spoon to remove eggs from the water. Drain excess water by placing them over a paper towel.
- Melt the remaining butter in another pan and add the chopped parsley to it, stirring well.
- Place the sandwiches in four plates and put a poached egg over each one.
- Pour the melted butter and parsley mix generously over each sandwich with egg.
- Serve immediately while it’s hot.
How long does croque madame last in the fridge?
Croque madame is a popular French sandwich made with ham, cheese, and béchamel sauce, topped with a fried egg. While it is best served fresh, it can be stored for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. However, the quality and texture may change after being refrigerated, with the bread becoming soggy and the egg losing its texture. To maintain the freshness of the croque madame, it’s recommended to store the components separately and assemble the sandwich just before serving. It’s also important to reheat the sandwich thoroughly to avoid any foodborne illness.
Low calorie croque madame substitutions
To lower the calorie content of this Croque Madame recipe, some substitutions can be made. Firstly, whole wheat bread can be used instead of sourdough bread which is high in calories. Secondly, low-fat cheese and turkey breast can be used instead of Gruyere cheese and ham respectively. Using cooking spray instead of butter for frying the sandwiches can further reduce calorie intake. Lastly, the quantity of eggs used can be reduced to one per sandwich instead of one per person. All of these substitutions will help to make the Croque Madame recipe lower in calories.
What to serve with croque madame?
Croque Madame is a classic French sandwich made with ham, cheese, béchamel sauce, and a fried egg on top. It is typically served for brunch or lunch, and pairs well with a side salad or fresh fruit. A simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette or a fresh fruit salad with a mixture of berries and citrus would complement the rich and savory flavor of the sandwich without overwhelming it. Additionally, a side of French fries or roasted potatoes would make for a satisfying and filling meal.
Whats the best sauce for croque madame?
The best sauce for croque madame is béchamel sauce. It is a creamy, white sauce made from a roux (flour and butter) and milk, seasoned with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. It adds richness and flavor to the croque madame, complementing the ham, cheese, and egg. To make béchamel sauce, melt butter in a saucepan, whisk in flour until smooth, and slowly add milk until it thickens, then season to taste. Drizzle it over the croque madame before serving for the perfect finishing touch.
Croque madame health benefits
Croque madame is a French sandwich made with ham, cheese, bechamel sauce and a fried egg on top. While not necessarily a low-calorie dish, it does provide several health benefits. Firstly, the ham in the sandwich provides a good source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing muscle tissue. The cheese provides a good source of calcium, which is important for maintaining strong bones and teeth. The egg on top provides additional protein and essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D, choline, and selenium. While bechamel sauce is high in calories and fat, a small amount can add flavor to the sandwich without adding too many extra calories. Overall, croque madame is a delicious and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a healthy and balanced diet.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette
Goat Cheese and Tomato Omelette
Tomato and Mozzarella Omelette