Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of egg puffs with custard! If you’re looking for a unique and delicious way to enjoy your morning omelette, look no further. This recipe combines the light and fluffy texture of egg puffs with the creamy sweetness of custard for a breakfast dish that’s sure to impress. Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just looking for a special treat for yourself, these egg puffs with custard are a must-try. So, roll up your sleeves and let’s get cooking! We’ve made this egg puffs with custard easy to follow 👨🍳.
- Water 250 ml (8 ﬂ oz / 1 cup)
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Butter 125 g (41/2 oz) Plain (all-purpose) ﬂour 140 g (5 oz), sifted
- Eggs 4
- Custard powder 60 g (2 oz) Sugar 80 g (21/2 oz)
- Milk 500 ml (16 ﬂ oz / 2 cups)
- Vanilla essence (extract) 1 tsp
- Bring water to the boil in a pot and add sugar. Stir to melt sugar. Return to the boil and add butter. Stir until completely melted.
- Reduce heat and pour in flour all at once, stirring to incorporate. You should get a smooth batter that leaves the sides of the pot.
- Leave batter to cool slightly before beating in eggs, one at a time. Ensure egg is completely incorporated before adding the next one.
- Pipe or spoon small mounds of batter onto a baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C (440°F) for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 150°C (300°F) and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove puffs from tray immediately to avoid sticking.
- Combine custard ingredients in a pan and stir until well mixed.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until custard thickens.
- Refrigerate until chilled before using.
- When puffs are slightly cooled, make a slit in each one and fill with custard.
- Serve immediately.
How long does egg puffs with custard last in the fridge?
Egg puffs with custard can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days after cooking. It is important to store them in an airtight container or cover them tightly with plastic wrap to prevent moisture and odors from affecting the flavor and texture. The egg puffs can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven, but it is recommended to allow them to come to room temperature before reheating to avoid any potential for uneven heating or overcooking. It is also advisable to check for any signs of spoilage, such as mold, discoloration, or an off smell, before consuming any leftover egg puffs.
Low calorie egg puffs with custard substitutions
To make this recipe lower in calories, some possible substitutions are as follows. To replace the butter in the choux pastry, one could use a low-fat spread or oil, such as margarine. For the sugar, one could try using a natural sugar alternative, such as stevia or monk fruit sweetener, or simply reduce the amount of sugar used. To make the custard lower calorie, one could use low-fat milk and a smaller amount of custard powder. Another option would be to skip the custard altogether and fill the egg puffs with a low-calorie filling, such as a fruit puree or light cream cheese. Using these substitutions can help reduce the overall calorie count of the recipe, while still maintaining its taste and texture.
What to serve with egg puffs with custard?
Egg puffs with custard are a delicious and satisfying dessert that can be served alongside a variety of complementary items. One option is to serve fresh fruit, such as berries or sliced kiwi, to add a refreshing contrast to the rich custard. Alternatively, a dollop of whipped cream or a sprinkle of powdered sugar can provide a touch of sweetness and texture to the dish. Other suitable accompaniments include vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, or caramel drizzle. Ultimately, the best side dish for egg puffs with custard will depend on your personal tastes and preferences.
Whats the best sauce for egg puffs with custard?
For egg puffs with custard, the best sauce to use would be a light drizzle of caramel sauce. The sweetness of the caramel complements the fluffiness of the egg puffs, while the richness of the custard is balanced by the caramel’s tangy flavor. You can also add a pinch of sea salt to the caramel sauce to give it a slightly savory note. Another alternative is to sprinkle powdered sugar or cinnamon on top of the egg puffs for an extra burst of sweetness. Overall, the key is to choose a sauce with a delicate flavor profile that won’t overpower the delicate flavors of the egg puffs with custard.
Egg puffs with custard health benefits
Egg puffs with custard offer several health benefits. Eggs are a good source of protein, which helps to build and repair muscles, and the addition of custard made with milk provides calcium and vitamin D, which is good for bone health. Egg yolks contain essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, which helps to produce red blood cells, and choline, which supports healthy brain function. However, it is important to note that custard may contain added sugar, which should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette
Goat Cheese and Tomato Omelette
Tomato and Mozzarella Omelette