Welcome to our delicious recipe for Mediterranean egg omelette! For those who love the flavors of the Mediterranean, this omelette is packed with fresh ingredients like tomatoes, spinach, olives, and feta cheese. The combination of salty, tangy, and slightly sweet flavors give this omelette a unique and satisfying taste. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or a light dinner, this recipe is easy to prepare and is a healthy and filling meal. Follow along for step-by-step instructions and enjoy this flavorful twist on a classic omelette! We’ve made this mediterranean egg recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Pita bread, for serving
- 1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190°C).2. In a large, oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes; cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the drained tomatoes to the skillet and stir to combine with the onion mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the juices have reduced slightly.
- Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese over the tomato mixture. Use a spoon to make four indentations in the mixture for the eggs. Crack one egg into each indentation.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. If desired, place the skillet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes at the end of cooking to brown the cheese and eggs slightly.
- Garnish with chopped parsley before serving with pita bread.
How long does mediterranean egg last in the fridge?
Mediterranean egg or Shakshuka is a popular Middle Eastern and North African dish made from eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce. Once cooked, it can be stored in the fridge for up to four days. It is important to store the dish in an airtight container to keep it fresh and to reheat it thoroughly before serving. To reheat, simply place the desired amount in a microwave-safe dish and heat on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Adding a sprinkle of fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro before serving can add more flavor to the dish.
Low calorie mediterranean egg recipe substitutions
To make this Mediterranean Baked Eggs recipe lower in calories, you could make a few substitutions. Instead of using olive oil, you could use a non-stick cooking spray to reduce the amount of added fat. Additionally, you could use egg whites or egg substitute in place of some or all of the whole eggs to reduce the overall calorie count. Rather than serving with pita bread, you could serve with a side salad or some fresh vegetables to keep the meal light and refreshing. Finally, to reduce the amount of fat and calories from the cheese, you could use a reduced-fat feta or simply use less cheese overall. These adjustments should help lower the calorie count of the dish while still maintaining its delicious flavor.
What to serve with a mediterranean egg?
Mediterranean eggs are a flavorful breakfast option that typically combine eggs with feta cheese, olives, and tomatoes. To complement these ingredients, you can serve the eggs with a simple green salad dressed in a lemon vinaigrette. Alternatively, you could serve them with a slice of toasted bread or a warm pita bread and a side of hummus or tzatziki sauce for dipping. For a heartier meal, you could add roasted potatoes or grilled vegetables such as zucchini or eggplant. A cup of coffee or a glass of orange juice would complete the meal.
Whats the best sauce for a mediterranean egg?
The best sauce for Mediterranean egg dishes is tzatziki. This refreshing sauce is made from Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, and lemon juice, and it pairs perfectly with eggs, providing a tangy, creamy, and fresh taste. Additionally, tzatziki is low in calories and high in protein, making it a healthy and delicious option. It also complements Mediterranean flavors and lends a cooling effect to spicier dishes. So next time you want to add some extra flavor and nutrition to your Mediterranean eggs, give tzatziki sauce a try.
Mediterranean egg health benefits
Mediterranean eggs are a great way to incorporate healthy protein and vegetables into your diet. Eggs are a great source of protein which helps build and repair muscle tissue, while the vegetables used in this recipe are high in vitamins and minerals that support overall health. For example, spinach is a great source of iron and magnesium, which are important for energy production and heart health. Additionally, the use of olive oil in the recipe provides healthy unsaturated fats which can help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. If you’re looking for a healthier recipe, you might consider making a vegetable and quinoa stir-fry which is high in protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette
Goat Cheese and Tomato Omelette
Tomato and Mozzarella Omelette