Namaste! If you are looking for a flavorful and satisfying breakfast, then you must try South Indian egg omelette. This dish is packed with spices, herbs and vegetables that will awaken your taste buds in the best way possible. It is a popular breakfast dish in South India and is known for its versatility and delicious taste. In this recipe, we will guide you step by step on how to prepare this hearty omelette that will make your mornings brighter. Let’s get started! We’ve made this south indian egg recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 6 eggs
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Boil the eggs in a pot of water for 8-10 minutes until the eggs are hard-boiled. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Peel the eggs and cut them into halves lengthwise and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix everything well and let cook for 5-6 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add the coconut milk and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- Place the egg halves, cut side down, on the gravy. Spoon some of the gravy over the eggs, cover with a lid and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice, naan or roti.
How long does south indian egg last in the fridge?
South Indian egg dishes like egg masala, egg curry, and egg roast can usually be stored in the fridge after cooking for up to 4 days. It’s important to let the dish cool completely before storing it in a tightly sealed container to prevent bacteria growth. It’s also important to reheat the stored dish thoroughly before consuming it, as this will kill any bacteria that may have grown. If you’re unsure whether the dish is still good, give it a sniff and a taste before eating it. If it smells or tastes off, it’s best to dispose of it.
Low calorie south indian egg recipe substitutions
To make this South Indian Egg Masala recipe lower in calories, a few substitutions can be made. Firstly, instead of using vegetable oil, cooking spray can be used to cut down on the amount of oil used. Secondly, instead of coconut milk, which is high in calories and saturated fats, coconut cream or low-fat coconut milk can be used, or it can be replaced with a non-dairy milk such as almond or soy milk. Additionally, by reducing the amount of onions used and increasing the amount of tomatoes, the dish can still be flavorful while cutting back on calories. Finally, serving the dish with brown rice instead of white rice or with a side of roasted vegetables or a salad can further reduce the overall calorie count of the meal.
What to serve with a south indian egg?
South Indian egg dishes are typically spicy and flavorful, so it’s best to pair them with lighter side dishes that complement the bold flavors. A simple salad of chopped cucumber, tomato, and red onion dressed with lemon juice and a pinch of salt can provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the egg dish. Steamed rice or naan bread can also be served on the side to help balance the heat and absorb the flavorful sauce. A cooling yogurt raita or chutney can also make a great accompaniment to South Indian egg dishes.
Whats the best sauce for a south indian egg?
There are several sauces that could pair well with South Indian style eggs, but one of the best is a spicy coconut chutney. This chutney is made by blending fresh coconut, chilies, roasted gram, and a few other spices. The resulting sauce is creamy, slightly spicy, and perfectly complements the soft, creamy texture of the eggs. The chutney can be served alongside the eggs as a dip or drizzled over the top for added flavor. With its rich and complex taste, this sauce is the perfect accompaniment to any South Indian egg dish.
South indian egg health benefits
South Indian egg dishes, such as egg curry or egg masala, can provide several health benefits. Eggs are a great source of protein which can help with building and repairing muscles. They also contain a range of essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin D, calcium, and iron. Additionally, eggs are affordable and easy to prepare, making them a convenient option for a healthy meal. However, it is important to note that the health benefits of eggs can be affected by the cooking method and the ingredients used in the dish. To make a healthier recipe, consider using fresh, whole ingredients like vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Try making an egg and vegetable scramble with spinach, peppers, and avocado for a nutritious and delicious breakfast or lunch.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette
Goat Cheese and Tomato Omelette
Tomato and Mozzarella Omelette